nafex - Re: [NAFEX] goats

  • From: "Naomi Counides" <naomi@oznayim.us>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] goats
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2011 11:31:55 -0700

Goats are not capable of shinnying up a tree truck but I can see where they
could manage to stand in the low branches of a fruit tree.

Certainly they can stand on their hind legs and eat leaves of lower
branches. In fact in my breeding program I favor big girls with strong
legs.
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2061091&id=1439895081&l=6cee7d3fce
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2061099&id=1439895081&l=d29da9f8bc

Goats are browsers.. not grazers. They put up with grazing if they do not
have a choice but browsing is actually better for them. They are more
sensitive to worms that grazers and if they are browsing they are eating at
a level that is well above worm level.

I once corresponded with a gentleman in Georgia which I consider strong in
the running for worm capital of the US. He would buy weaned kids at the
auction and turn them loose in his brush pastures. He kept the fences in
good order and mowed the brush to 18 inches periodically. He did not deworm
the kids. In a few months they had shed the parasites and eaten themselves
glossy and chubby.. he would then take them to the packer and make a profit.
Brilliant system. He said he was no good at breeding.. but this he did very
well. IMO
Naomi

“I am a solipsistic conspiracy theorist. I am sure I am up to something,
and I will not stop until I find out what.”

http://xkcd.com/842/ Jan 3, 2011