nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Semi-dwarf apples + Deer =

  • From: "Richard Wagner" <rewagner@centurytel.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Semi-dwarf apples + Deer =
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2011 16:50:52 -0600

We are in zone 6b-7a. I was advised that an electric fence would itself need to be at least 6 ft high to do any good.

I put in new fencing when we moved here and almost put in electric fence. I am glad that I did not. Unless one can keep fence lines clear of overhanging trees they go down too easily. We had bad ice storm in 2009 and it was three day before I could check the fences. They were broken or laid down in several places. Fortunately the fallen branches themself had blocked gaps with brush keeping the cows and goats in. We were without power 5 days and one friend for 16 days.