nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Summer pruning

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Summer pruning
  • Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2010 08:46:49 -0500

13292.a21a807.39a92fcd@aol.com" type="cite"> Even when the wound has dried up it can catch fungal spores and hold them until wet periods like in spring. Prunus is especially bad for fungus in the wood.

OK, but in that case, wouldn't I be better off pruning now, rather than waiting for dormant pruning? After all, in either case, the wound won't be healed by spring. But it might be a LITTLE further along if I prune now.

One way or another, I HAVE to prune these trees, either now or later.

Note that it's almost September, and I still haven't pruned these last few trees, so I don't know if I'll get to it, anyway. Frankly, just picking everything is taking all my time. But that's not a bad problem to have, I suppose. :-)

Thanks!

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

http://garthright.blogspot.com/

--
It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it. - Upton Sinclair