nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Summer pruning

  • From: "Idell Weydemeyer" <iwgarden@earthlink.net>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Summer pruning
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 08:10:51 -0700

In cold areas, as another writer mentioned, late pruning can cause growth susceptible to frost--

However, in other parts of the country with warmer winter weather, the 2nd set of summer pruning (or even the first set if it was not accomplished in May or June) is done August into mid September. I find summer pruning is great for keeping plants small since it shrinks the current supply of leaves (which then cannot work to store food for the winter). In winter pruning, the plant already has stored food and after pruning a plant, it springs forth with loads of new growth when the weather warms. That is fine when I am trying to invigorate a tree but not good at all if I am trying to keep it small--around 7 feet or less.

Idell Weydemeyer

Zone 9a