nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Summer pruning

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Summer pruning
  • Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2010 15:14:54 EDT

In a message dated 8/28/2010 9:47:08 AM Eastern Daylight Time, billg@inebraska.com writes:

OK, but in that case, wouldn't I be better off pruning now, rather than waiting for dormant pruning? After all, in either case, the wound won't be healed by spring. But it might be a LITTLE further along if I prune now.

Hello Bill,

I submit there are fungal spores in the air now that will not be there in say Feb. Pruning now before spring active growth begins simply leaves the wound open and exposed longer.

But if you will be tight for time next spring now is better than not pruning at all.

I heard one man say once there are only 52 days a year that you can't prune apples, every Sunday. But I've pruned many trees on Sundays and lightening hasn't struck me yet.

Jerry