nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Summer pruning

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Summer pruning
  • Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2010 17:33:14 EDT

In a message dated 8/28/2010 5:14:08 PM Eastern Daylight Time, dwoodard@becon.org writes:

I think that much depends on *what* you are pruning and *why* and
*where* and *when*.
You are exactly right. No question about it.

I recall British discussions of pruning apricots. With them in Britain
apparently the big problem is a bacterial disease called "dieback" which
can be deadly. The recommendation as I recall it was to prune in early
June (?) at the time of fastest growth when the tree would be least
liable to infection and wound healing quickest.
Agree again.

In the Midwest wood growth has just begun in many species and a good
time, not too late, to prune for summer growth and healing. The original question as I recall was to prune now (Aug) and the subject line was Summer Pruning. I consider June to be spring.

Jerry