nafex - Re: [NAFEX] currant preserves and plant productivity.

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] currant preserves and plant productivity.
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2010 11:23:05 -0700

It feels thicker as you stir, and looks clearer and darker - less bubbly
within, and any foam seems to reduce. When I'm boiling the preserve hard,
it's quite sudden. With a slower cook, it becomes thicker than syrup,
thinner than jam. It's hard to describe. I say "looks" but it's a
combination of appearance and spoon-resistance.
In the past, or still if not completely sure, I do/have done something like
you do with a ramekin. Try using a cold saucer (heat tolerant, you'll be
shocking it). Take your pan off the heat, spoon a little onto the saucer,
and return the saucer to the fridge for 30-60 seconds. Jam should be like
jam on hot toast - less firm than in a jar, but not runny. I turn the
saucer sideways to see if it will run. Jelly will also not run, and will
wrinkle when you try to push it to the side.
For jelly, I'd do three tests to get a better feel. First I'd watch it;
then when I think I'm there I'd lift the spoon, pour some back, and see if
it sheets; then I'd do the saucer thing. If the saucer says you're there,
then you'll know what the sheet test and eye/feel test are telling you
should look/feel like. Same with jam, but not the sheet test - use the
ridge to gauge your spoon-resistance/appearance judgment.
The amount of sugar you use very much affects the gel, making it come
earlier or later, or setting up softer or firmer.
And out of linear context: the first time I tried a bread machine jam it set
up ridiculously firm. It was unthinnable. I had to cut it into squares,
sugar it, and call it candy.

~ Stephen