nafex - Re: [NAFEX] currant preserves and plant productivity.

  • From: Spidra Webster <spidra@speakeasy.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] currant preserves and plant productivity.
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2010 20:42:51 -0700

Canning & Preserving Without Sugar  by Norma Macrae is a good book for those who need to watch sugar intake.  Of course, recipes often have apple or pear juice in them which is just sugar in another form but the recipes form a good base from which to experiment.  I am a very newbie jam-maker. So far I've made aprium jam, elephant plum jam, and loquat jam. I did them all while referencing this book and the insert from a pkg of Pomona's Pectin. Although I use Splenda to sweeten drinks, I've yet to use it to sweeten jam. But I would if I thought I needed to.