nafex - Re: [NAFEX] currant preserves and plant productivity.

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] currant preserves and plant productivity.
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2010 18:35:44 -0400

In past years I've used 3 cups of sugar to a quart of juice. That made
delicious jelly, but the texture was never right. This year I tried using 4
cups of sugar for a quart of juice, and it jelled beautifully, but it's a
little sweet for my tastes. It's hard to tell when to stop cooking, and the
texture problems might be from over or under cooking, not from the amount of
sugar. I have a completely useless jelly thermometer. Maybe if I had an
accurate jelly thermometer I'd have better results.

Anyhow, next year I will go back to using 3 cups of sugar.

This jelly isn't bad, by the way, it's just not as wonderful in flavor as
what I've made in the past.

Ginda