nafex - Re: [NAFEX] currant preserves and plant productivity.

  • From: "Ginda Fisher" <list@ginda.us>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] currant preserves and plant productivity.
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2010 08:31:58 -0400

Currants seem to have a lot of pectin.  I've never added any, and the consistency _was_ better when I 'diluted' it with more sugar.

At least, that's what I think I did.  Maybe others understand the chemistry better.

-- Ginda

On Jul 2, 2010 8:19 AM, Road's End Farm <organic87@frontiernet.net> wrote:

On Jul 2, 2010, at 7:14 AM, Ginda Fisher wrote:

> adding more sugar did cure my "too chewy" issue, but it resulted in
> jelly which is too sweet for my tastes.

Try Pomona's pectin; you can add as little sugar as you want, the jell
is produced with calcium instead of with sugar.

Recipes for standard pectin are almost always way too sweet for me.

(Oh -- I just realized you didn't add pectin at all, did you? you just
cooked it down, and counted on the pectin in the fruit. You still
might want to try the Pomona, though.)

http://www.pomonapectin.com/

**YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**
No exceptions.