nafex - Re: [NAFEX] currant preserves and plant productivity.

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] currant preserves and plant productivity.
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2010 17:31:56 -0700

I think 3 and a half cups might be right - the Goldilocks solution, but also
the ratio I find in Putting Food By. I've given up on jelly thermometers.
At this point I can clearly see when something reaches the gel point, but
before that I found the sheet test or putting a spoonful in the fridge to be
more dependable. I love the idea of using temperature - I just don't think
I get an accurate reading in all that roiling fruit and sugar, especially
with the small batches I often put up. It's probably me, not the tools. I
never go wrong by eye. It's clearly not genetic - growing up we had many
plum trees, and all the plum jam my mother intended turned out to be syrup -
really delicious syrup that I miss, but never jelly or jam.
My latest small batch jam was blueberry pineapple. New combination for me,
but terribly good.

I'm glad yours is good, wish there was a way to correct the flavor - lemon,
mentioned earlier, or rose hip syrup, maybe, but it might make it too thin.

~ Stephen