nafex - Re: [NAFEX] currant preserves and plant productivity.

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87@frontiernet.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] currant preserves and plant productivity.
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2010 08:19:56 -0400

On Jul 2, 2010, at 7:14 AM, Ginda Fisher wrote:

adding more sugar did cure my "too chewy" issue, but it resulted in jelly which is too sweet for my tastes.

Try Pomona's pectin; you can add as little sugar as you want, the jell is produced with calcium instead of with sugar.

Recipes for standard pectin are almost always way too sweet for me.

(Oh -- I just realized you didn't add pectin at all, did you? you just cooked it down, and counted on the pectin in the fruit. You still might want to try the Pomona, though.)

http://www.pomonapectin.com/