nafex - Re: [NAFEX] mulberries

  • From: "Bassem Samaan" <bassem@gardener.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] mulberries
  • Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 10:02:09 -0400

Illinois everbearing bears over a long period, but it doesn't seem to have one large crop all at once, which is good if you only eat a few at a time, bad if you need to pick them all at once. The flavor is good sweet tart balance, fruit is longe, and not as fat as some varieties.
I recently grafted a collier which is suppose to be similar but bears a thicker size fruit. It also bears a larger crop. It was recommended by John Gordon of NY.
I also grow Pakistan here in Pa. It's not as hardy as the others, but I have it grafted 4' high on a wild rootstock. In some years it dies back but it still manage to grow and bears a decent crop. It is very interesting fruit. Its very long,  not as juicy as the others. You can see the photos of it on my website.
I have also collected a mulberry from the wild. It was growing against a building near a park. It was my dad's favorite, due to it's size and it's flavor. I actually prefered it over the Illinois every bearing for it's flavor. The size is above average for wild mulberries. one week after I took cuttings it was chopped off by the building owners. Now it's about 4' tall and has a few mulberries on it.
Another great mulberry I have called Greece. It's a white mulberry that is of a good size, and excellent sweet productive tree.

Thanks,

Bass Samaan
Bethlehem, pa zone 6
http://www.TreesofJoy.com