nafex - Re: [NAFEX] message text

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflondon@mindspring.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] message text
  • Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 17:17:52 -0400

Betty Mayfield wrote:

> To the list:
>
> I don't know whether the new list is screening differently or not, but
> today I received two messages that were not in text--they went into my
> attachment file as HTM messages.

I received those also.

Messages intended for the forum should be prepared with message text
entered directly
in the body of the message, NOT in html or "styled text (HTM)" or
similar format as offered by various email clients
OR as file attachments attachments. The message archives will display
all messages in pure ascii text whether they are
in text, html (you'll see all the html format codes displayed - making
the message almost unreadable) or
graphics, word processor or A. Acrobat (pdf), the latter three will be
totally unreadable and waste a lots of space and bandwidth.

The Mailman list server at ibiblio will undergo revisions over time and
ibiblio will install all available upgrades.
Its still way better than Yahoo or Topica as its faster, spamless and
the archives are on the Web, indexable by all major search engines,
and more.

> When I went to look at them I found that HDessureault's message with the
> subject "Changing lists" was completely blank. Ted Siegan's message on
> hardy citrus was available in HTM.
>
> The new e-mail programs have set HTM as the default style for e-mail, but
> Eudora, at least, offers the option of sending a message in both "styled
> text" (HTM) and "plain text" (ASCII).

Use plain text (ASCII) only.

In the list guidelines (URL available
> in the "welcome" message) it says that "Nothing but plain text can be
> displayed in the NAFEX list's message archives."

Very true.

LL

--

L.F.London ICQ#27930345 lflondon@mindspring.com