nafex - Re: [nafex] "SURROUND"

  • From: "Richard J. Ossolinski" <osso@acadia.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] "SURROUND"
  • Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 08:06:33 -0400

Probably more than you wanted, but perhaps this will help. Scroll to the end
to see the message that elicited this response from John Mosko at Englehard
Corp (manufacturers of Surround.)
Richard

> Gosh Lee, wish you had given us a call earlier for guidance. Sorry that
> you had trouble.
>
> With any new technology, there are benefits and there are going to be
> challenges, if the benefits outweigh any problems, the technology will
> fly. So far we've been very, very lucky with the particle film technology
> and problems have been solvable.
>
> Lee, if you are up to trying it again, for your case, I suggest maybe a
> Honeycrisp or Jonagold trial that uses applications starting at petal fall
> - and then cut off sprays earlier, or, consider ways to improve the fruit
> cleaning. You may try it on your Hawkeye for the fun of it. I explain
> more below.
>
> I'll comment, off the cuff, on the points you brought up...
>
> Sunburn - No doubt, Surround WP cuts sunburn damage dramatically,
> importantly, while increasing or, at least, not reducing photosynthesis.
> The hotter and less humid the region, the more potential payback. Studies
> and grower results in 1999 and 2000 in hot apple growing regions around
> the world show at least 50% and up to 60 to 80% reduction in damage. Even
> in the coolest of seasons like 1999, severe sunburn damage in WA is still
> around 10%. In most years, and on some cultivars, the severe damage
> approaches 20%, and can be higher. CA damage would be even higher.
> Surround WP can give a nice investment payback - $60 to 100 worth of
> Surround WP sprays for sunburn can pay 10 to 20X on sunburn damage
> reduction (not to mention cutting down on insect damage during the
> treatment period). About half of current Surround WP commercial use thus
> far is for sunburn reduction on apples mostly in the western US and we
> expect this application to grow sharply based on this season's success.
>
> Mixing - We have heard of a handful of growers having problems with mixing
> in the powder but the vast majority have no problems at all. The most
> common reasons are low agitation, weak pump returns, or adding the powder
> too fast. We have a Spray Guide which offers tips. To give guidance, we'll
> need to know the specifics of the sprayer.
>
> Color - Our data and experience is that color usually improves, i.e.,
> redder red apples and greener green apples, or at least neutral. I don't
> know what to make of your experience. Staymans, Empire, and Pink Lady in
> particular have been seen to be redder. We don't 'push' the color
> improvement benefit. To determine predictable color effects you really
> need to do replicated studies in multiple years, in multiple regions - then
> there are all the cultivars. This is very costly and time-consuming
> research, obviously.
> We learned in 'Empire' studies that color improvement is linked to
> applications made from petal fall to about the 5th or 6th cover.
> Curiously, this immediate post-petal fall period coverage is crucial for
> color improvement with Surround WP.
>
> Washing - Yeh, can't win right? Some say it washes off the trees too
> [...]

ClubMom is the first free organization dedicated to rewarding and celebrating
Moms! Join today - it's free - and get your chance to win
http://us.click.yahoo.com/wq6iUD/TFaCAA/OZ8EAA/VTJVlB/TM