nafex - Re: [nafex] Apple Recommendations

  • From: jhecksel@voyager.net
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Apple Recommendations
  • Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 16:06:41 -0700

> All you apple
> growers out there, how about your recommendations for the best tasting
> apple?

It is a tie for first place between Sweet 16 and one of those
never-released NY ------19 disease resistant apples. The exact number
has been lost in antiquity but I remember it ends in "-19". I do
remember talking with Ed Fackler about this apple, as he has also grown
it in "almost heaven".

Sweet 16 is usually head-and-shoulders above the other apples (except
NY--19). Last year, our Sweet 16 were insipid. Perhaps because I let
them overbear.

It is really not fair to mention an apple that is not available. The
NY---19 apple is a Spartan crossed with a PRI selection. It is disease
resistant and ripens early October in Southern Michigan. It has intense
apple flavor, lick-your-lips richness and a texture that "pops!" in your
mouth. The thing that impresses me most about this apple is a little
thing....even the skin tastes good! I think Cornell never released the
apple because the growth habit is a bit weepy, the production a little
shy (although better than Ashmeade's Kernal). I also noticed that the
rabbits appear to prefer chewing on this tree to all others.

GoldRush and Melrose are tied for second place.
--

-Joe Hecksel
Eaton Rapids,

Mother Nature has a charming way of compensating small-brained people
with large mouths.

Get a NextCard Visa with rates as low as 2.99% Intro APR!
1. Fill in the brief application
2. Get approval decisions in 30 seconds!
http://click.egroups.com/1/9336/15/_/423498/_/970171456/