msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] what to wear?

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] what to wear?
  • Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2009 20:29:32 -0700

Linda mentioned “40 degree heat” in her part of Western Australia, and I wanted to convert for those of us using Fahrenheit: 104

Some of us in hotter weather face extra challenges, just as those in colder weather do.  My own county may have a  serious heat wave in the valley – at times we have a declared emergency / disaster due to severe heat - or a blizzard in the mountains.

The hottest MSAR response I can recall was about a dozen years ago, down in the main valley. It was 118 F (47.7 C) and  the riders were sent home after lunch each day, despite many volunteering to remain and search longer mounted for the missing child. (Ultimately found deceased.) Even though our local horses and riders are accustomed to the 100+ summer heat, searching mounted in the afternoons - when the heat of the day peaked - wasn’t considered a safe option. We handed out a gazillion water bottles to personnel and loaded water tubs in the back of trucks (to haul to the horses out on the search) just trying to keep the resources hydrated.

For those trying to imagine that kind of heat – luckily not very humid that day - try imagining heat so severe the country road blacktop was so soft it would literally squish under the feet of someone walking on it. We had at least 1 searcher each day at the ambulance next to the CP requiring heat-related medical care despite the gallons of water, Gatorade, wide brim straw / vented hats, wet bandanas on the neck, etc.

- - - - - -

Jorene Downs

SAR & CERT

Mounted SAR

www.ceoates.com/msar

From: David leadbetter

 Our uniform includes jodphurs,the most unflattering piece of clothing known to man.We also wear the puttee's also known here as chappettes.

If we are working in rough country I have a pair of chaps which hprotect your $100 jods.

We do not have the extremes of cold that some of you experience.We dread summer call outs,being out all day in 40 degree heat is no fun.

We are issued with high vis rain jackets but they are only shower proof so mostly we go with the long dri as a bone coats and a high vis vest.The long coats also protect your saddle.

If the weather is really feral we have waterproof quarter sheets for the horses.

 cheers

 Linda L

 SES Mounted Section  Western Aaustralia