msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] what to wear?

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: emboote@aol.com
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] what to wear?
  • Date: Sun, 07 Jun 2009 22:49:46 -0400

Hi,
I live in Minnesota...one of the colder environments. Our summers get to 100 and winters down to -20 or lower with a windchill that can get down in the -40s. Of course, when we get to extremely cold temperatures, at some point we just say it isn't safe if it's a recovery. But we all know if it's a rescue, we do our best and exercise all caution and safety standards possible. I do ride every day in every environment, even if it's just to learn how effective we'd be as far as distance, visibility, etc.

For winter riding, I wear a thermal underlayer, then a polar fleece jodphur style pant, then a quilted full leather seat pant over all of that. A top layer would be similar..it's all about layers. On top of all of that, I've found there's nothing like my Aussie coat. I love the wool liner and the fleece liner that can be added, or not. There isn't anything I don't like about that coat. It cuts the wind, keeps the heat in, protects the saddle, acts like a chap from neck to ankle. I wear a chest harness that holds my radio, GPS, cell phone, etc., and all my equipment stays safe under there. The batteries even stay warm in there.

I like the Troxel helmet and use a polar fleece cover for it in the winter. It completely covers the helmet and has a layer that wraps around the neck and velcros shut under the chin. A big plus is that then I don't have to wear a layer under the helmet so I'm able to hear bet ter.

Gloves and boots are more of a concern for me,,,layers help, too.

Emily