msar-riders - [MSAR] Manhattan, IL

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Manhattan, IL
  • Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2006 13:59:59 -0400

Jecasse@aol.com wrote:
>I just recently completed a weekend clinic for "spook-proofing"
>your horse

Yes, despooking is basic training for pleasure horses involved
in MSAR, just as it is for any other public appearance (mounted
patrol, drill team, parades, etc.).

>I live in Manhattan, IL, and would like to know more about what
>one must do to join a mounted search and rescue team.

A good first step is to find a group near you and ask them for
specifics. Have you checked out the Illinois and Indiana groups
listed on the MSAR units web directory?

http://www.ibiblio.org/msar/units

Manhattan is south of Chicago, maybe not far from Karen Nesbitt
(spanishequines@yahoo.com), another MSAR-Riders member who is
looking to join an MSAR unit or team.

If there are no MSAR groups near you, you might consider joining
a SAR unit as a groundpounder (ie, sans horse). Or, if your
goal is interesting riding, rather than public service, you may
find what you seek in NATRC or another competitive trail riding
organization.

Good luck,