msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] First responders

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Marie Lester" <marie.lester@gmail.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] First responders
  • Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 13:39:33 -0400

Our unit also owns a tape that addresses large animal rescue.
It is entitled LARGE ANIMAL RESCUE
Source: www.usrider.org
1-800-844-1409

Marie Lester
Training Officer/VP
Central Ohio Mounted Search Unit

On 10/10/06, Kris Haley <Kris.Haley@co.sherburne.mn.us> wrote:
I am Liaison for the Sherburne County Sheriff's Mounted Patrol in Elk
River, Mn. Our MP was trained by TROD and we have conducted the
training seminars. We have certified trainers that can teach the
clinic. We also have permission to use and reprint their curriculum.
Kris Haley
Sherburne County Sheriff's MP
Liaison

>>> laguyon2@yahoo.com 10/9/2006 9:00 PM >>>
I have an article about The Hooved Animal Rescue & Protection Society
(HARPS) and TROD (Trail Riders of DuPage--DuPage County, Illinois) who
have been conducting seminars for first responders for some years. The
article says they train police fire, animal control and forest preserve
people. The course includes handling calm and panicky horses,
restraining a frightened or injured horse, horse trailer design and
dismantling, removing horses from trailers, and what to do until the vet
arrives.

The clinic is conduced in one day by staff and volunteers and has
received national recognition. It has been tough throughout the
country. In the session described in the article the clinic teamed two
trainees with a horse and handler. They learned how to handle their
horse, how to halter and lead a horse, and how to improvise halters and
navigate obstacles. Typical horse behaviors, both relaxed and under
stress, were explained and demonstrated.

I have been told that they have a written curriculum, but I have not
seen it.

Another article I have describes work at Eastern Kentucky University
in Richmond, KY in a partnership with USRider Equestrian Motor Plan
(www.usrider.org). The article gives the following citation:
www.TheHorse.com/emag.aspx?id=6711

Lois Guyon
Member, LaSalle County, IL Sheriff's MSAR