msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] First responders

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Jecasse@aol.com
  • To: laguyon2@yahoo.com, msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] First responders
  • Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 21:07:53 EDT

Thanks to everyone who answered my question about the clinic mentioned. I
just recently completed a weekend clinic for "spook-proofing" your horse,
which
was basically the same type of training that mounted police officers go
through. The clinician was Bill Richey who spent his career as a mounted
police
officer and was one of many officers handling Mardi Gras every year in New
Orleans (I guess it doesn't get much wilder than that!)

This clinic was held at Breezy Bluff Riding Academy near Bloomington, IL.
The horses & riders were exposed to a variety of obstacles in addition to
sirens, flares, smoke bombs, etc. Remarkably, at the end of the two day
clinic
most of the horses were handling all of this remarkably well.

I live in Manhattan, IL, and would like to know more about what one must do
to join a mounted search and rescue team. Officer Richey told us the
training
we received at the clinic would be a good basis for this type of work. I
have two horses that I believe would make good search-and-rescue prospects -
one
is an 18-year-old Standardbred mare (I have owned her since she was 5 yrs.)
and the other is the mare's son - a 7-year-old Standardbred/TWH cross gelding
(he is the one I attended the clinic with.)

Both horses are kept on our property, and I have a good trailer to haul them
in. I guess I need to know more about the search and rescue program(s) in
this area....

Thanks Much,
Jan