msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] field communications

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "IRVIN LICHTENSTEIN" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>, "'Mike'" <revmp777@earthlink.net>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] field communications
  • Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 12:20:05 -0400

In Pennsylvania SAR is a volunteer (for the most part) service. The PA
Dept. of Conservation and Natural Resources Bureau of Parks and the Bureau
of Forests train their rangers and park/forest managers in SAR. These guys
do not get overtime for SAR in most cases. There are some volunteer fire
companies that include the function but most don't. Some county level EMA's
have organized or sanction SAR groups as have some county sheriffs. In PA
the sheriff is not a police force, they are court paper servers and security
for the county jail sometimes. Towns under 5000 permanent residents get
State Police coverage for free.

SAR groups, if properly organized under the statutes, can be emergency
responders in PA. Many are dispatched through the EOC or E-9-1-1 answering
point after proving they are organized and trained to do the job.
Additionally, FEMA/DHS has recently added animal rescue and disaster
relocation of livestock to the response plan, giving mounted units
additional possible function(s). SE PA SAR is incorporated as a non-profit
PA corporation and has completed the IRS filings and approvals for
501(c)(3)status. We are now awaiting PA sales tax exemption and a charitable
organization filing is next. The stated purpose in the bylaws was written to
make us eligible for these exemptions. Unfortunately, we are not a fire
company or a licensed EMS transporter so we cannot apply for some state
grants. We are eligible for public safety radio licenses but the coordinator
still wants $200 per channel even though the FCC waives fees for exempt
organizations. You can use public safety radio for any official activity of
the licensed response organization. If the channel is shared administrative
traffic yields to emergency traffic.

INSURANCE: There is no immunity in Pennsylvania so you have to carry
liability insurance. The best carrier is VFIS (formerly Volunteer Firemen's
Insurance Services), available nationwide, as a primary carrier for the
organization. The premium is based on service area and calls per year,
whether your responders drive big red trucks or their own vehicles. Dog
bites are always a problem. They stopped insuring Dalmations after one fire
company parade. They can also provide portable equipment insurance
(inland marine) for radios and other gear, including searchers' personal
possessions. When dealing with emergency response deal with emergency
response insurers. There are others but most specialize in EMS providers.

Workman's Comp is the statutory responsibility of the municipality where
your organization is headquartered in PA. All volunteers are uncompensated
employees of the municipality. PA is not an OSHA state but there are severe
penalties for not having comp. Also, certain diseases are considered
occupational hazards for fire and ambulance personnel and claims may be
delayed but will be paid eventually. THIS WILL VARY from state to state.

If you need more help contact me directly.

Irv Lichtenstein ilichten1@verizon.net