msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] field communications

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "BRUCE MURDOCK" <ki7ci@msn.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] field communications
  • Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 21:47:52 -0600

Most SAR units that have a public safety license
have a frequency assigned in the 2-meter band. Any ham who owns
a personal 2-meter capable radio, and works with one of these SAR
units, can simply program in that unit's public safety frequency.

Una

Can you clarify this? I am a licensed ham and have been quite involved in
Emergency Communications. To the best of my knowledge, no public service
agency can be licensed to operate in the 2-Meter Ham band. They may have a
licensed amateur that can operate in the ham bands, but there are no assigned
frequencies in the 2 meter ham band itself. Many agencies utilize VHF radios
that operate in adjacent frequencies, but are outside the 2 meter amateur
band, and most amateur 2 meter radios can be modified to operate in those
frequencies. That is kind of a gray area since most amateur radios are not
type accepted in the public service or commercial bands, but it is generally
considered as emergency communications under Part 97 of the FCC rules. There
have been cases of non Hams buying 2 meter radios and modifying them to
operate on the public service bands. I know of one VFD that received a letter
from the FCC telling them that was a no-no.

We opeate under the Gem County Sheriff and utilize UHF radios with the County
Sheriff frequencies and mostly use a simplex frequency for Posse operations.

Bruce Murdock, KI7CI
Gem County Sheriff's Posse
Emmett, ID