msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Foal Watch

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Foal Watch
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 01:34:08 -0800

I know folks who greatly prefer to ride a mule in the backcountry. One of our MSAR team leaders (also an MSAR Packer) rides a mule ... and packs the horse.

The neighbors behind us have mules. We make a point of running our youngsters on shared fence line so they get well exposed and don't perceive the Long Ears as possible horse eating monsters. Our backcountry and MSAR stock are well accustomed to pack trains, etc., that include mules since there are about a dozen mules in the family. ;)

-Jorene

----- Original Message ----- From: "philip easley" <easleyranch@foothill.net>
Do not get me wrong, I do prefer mules over the horses. If it did not take
horses to make mules, I would not have any. We understand mules and how
they think so we do well with them. [...]
Philip Easley
NCSSAR