msar-riders - [MSAR] Mules / Foal Watch

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Mules / Foal Watch
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 13:40:24 -0800

From: "philip easley" <easleyranch@foothill.net>
When I got my first mule, I was packing horses. Vincent Van Go put all the
horses to shame. He rode so well in the back country that I considered
riding him and packing the horses as well. [...] The mules will go
straight down the trail like they are on a rail and will tend to avoid
hitting anything. They also inherited the survival instincts of the donkey.

Multiple sources also tell me that the riding mule is often a softer, smoother ride than the average horse. And some mules are gaited. Also, the mule commonly has more endurance than the horse, and in general can pack more weight.

What would you consider the typical height of riding mules?

-Jorene