msar-riders - [MSAR] Hobbles

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Hobbles
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 10:56:45 -0800

From: "Patty Montoya" <riverrider@bak.rr.com>
Also, our unit requires that we pack hobbles, but I always highline or
electric fence my horses. So, I went out and bought hobbles with no intent
to use them. I don't really want to get into a discussion of the pros or
cons of the hobbles themselves, I'm more interested in opinions of the unit
REQUIRING that I use them. Should the individual make this decision, or are
we obligated to follow this rule just as we are obligated to follow other
MSAR rules and regulations?
Patty/California

If it is a unit requirement, all should conform ... and demonstrate appropriate use of that equipment. If folks disagree with the requirement, vote to change it. ;)

Assuming the horse is broke to hobbles and respects their restraint, they can be very useful when you're in a situation in the field where you need to temporarily leave the horse unattended, there is no convenient location to tie, and you want all hands available instead of someone dedicated to holding all the livestock. (This also assumes all the horses are not taught to ground tie.)

-Jorene