msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] MSAR and 4x4

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "philip easley" <easleyranch@foothill.net>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] MSAR and 4x4
  • Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2005 16:26:27 -0800

Hi Pam,
I am a deputy sheriff with the Nevada County Sheriff's Department in Nevada
City, California. I went through what you are now about 24 years ago. Only
here it was a dogs only club. I was the coordinator for the Sheriff's
Mounted Posse that was a combination SAR and Parade unit. It was used for
SAR only about six times since 1935. The local 4wd clubs did some, but the
CARDA dog teams did it all. When I began with he Posse in 1982, I had to
come up with my own training for there were non available for Mounted units.
We trained religiously for two years before they actually called us out on a
search for a little boy named Eli who gained fame for being the first child
to get lost that had been through the revolutionary HUG-A-TREE program.
After the dogs had searched all the search area, they called us in to check
some treacherous mountain trails in the Granite Rock. We searched that then
were told they did not need us any more. On our own we wanted to search an
area outside the search area where we thought might be a real likely area.
We were told he was not there for he would climb when lost, not go down
hill. They said to go ahead kind of to pacify us. We did our search and
found his tracks, then located him talking to his tree as he was trained to
do. That was what got us into the working SAR field. After that, I went to
the OES Search Management school and they still had no place for horses in
the state level. Over the last 20 years, due to myself and other die hard
people like me, that turned around. Be persistent and patient. Do not look
like you are infringing on other's territory. Keep qualified and/or stay in
a regular training equestrian program so you will not appear to be a
liability, and things will come around. Eventually our Sheriff's Mounted
Posse became too powerful as a group and tried to buck the sheriff. They
lost and now our mounted unit is a part of the Nevada County Sheriff's
Search and Rescue Inc.. That is a group that has the Sheriff and Sheriff's
Coordinators on the board of directors with some members of the group as
well. They can raise money for SAR separate from the money grabbing County
Board of Supervisors, and are still governed by the Sheriff's Department.
It has been working out very well.
Good Luck and hang in there.
Philip Easley........
NCCSAR