msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Horsemanship and such / Mounted SAR to include ATV?

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: possegal@att.net
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Horsemanship and such / Mounted SAR to include ATV?
  • Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 04:37:35 +0000

Amen to that, I agree wholeheartedly
--
Carla J Olsen
possegal@att.net
707-592-4346

--------------

Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 07:47:54 -0600
From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
Subject: [MSAR] MSAR defensive riding

Various mounted police training companies state on their
websites that they will travel to you for a clinic. From
what I know, third hand, of how these work, it goes like
this: you commit to pay their fees and handle all local
logistics yourself; you cover the cost by fully enrolling
the clinic. The curriculum is primarily defensive riding,
crowd control, and de-spooking (misnamed sensory training).

These clinics are popular with MSAR teams that do double
duty also as county rodeo associations and parade groups;
the rodeo and parade scene, especially the rodeo audience
parking lot (parking traffic traditionally is directed
on horseback), can be extremely threatening to horses and
riders alike.

Perhaps others here, with more direct knowledge of these
clinics, will pipe up?

  • Re: [MSAR] Horsemanship and such / Mounted SAR to include ATV?, possegal, 09/06/2005