msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Riding helmet / Western Hardhat Questions Not for HorsebackRiding

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "philip easley" <easleyranch@foothill.net>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Riding helmet / Western Hardhat Questions Not for HorsebackRiding
  • Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 22:20:43 -0700

Always keep in mind, when carrying passengers on a horse that are being
rescued or a part of the general public and you put a helmet that is not
approved for horseback riding, you have this evil thing lurking around you
called vicarious liability. If you know in advance that you will need a
riding helmet to put on someone that will be riding. Why not buy a helmet
that is approved for horseback riding. If you put a bicycle, low angle, or
swift water rescue helmet that was set aside to be used on someone that is
riding a horse that you are responsible for and they are injured, what do
you think the attorneys are going to look at when you could have obtained a
riding helmet that is approved for horseback riding and designed to protect
your scull from the type of impact you receive when hitting the ground from
seven to ten feet off the ground. Even if the helmet you used did its job
well, they will sue you for not using proper equipment when you reasonably
could have done so and had unnecessarily placed them in danger. It is just
something we need to think about when obtaining our equipment in advance.
If the proper equipment that is approved for horseback riding could have
been obtained instead of something else in advance, why not get the proper
equipment?
Philip Easley...............