msar-riders - [MSAR] Riding helmet / Western Hardhat Questions Not for Horseback Riding

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Riding helmet / Western Hardhat Questions Not for Horseback Riding
  • Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 19:54:53 -0700

Few in MSAR are trained or equipped for technical rescue, but in a pinch the helmet used in technical rescue is very similar to the riding helmet and could be used. Having a 2nd helmet along also provides a spare to put on the head of a passenger you're transporting on an extra saddled horse.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
Tulare SAR - Hasty Team ICP Team
www.ceoates.com/sar
Tulare-Kings CERT
www.tk-cert.org

----- Original Message ----- From: "philip easley" <easleyranch@foothill.net>
If you are going to wear a hardhat while riding a horse. There should be no
need to even consider a hardhat that is not approved for horseback riding.
Philip Easley
Nevada County Sheriff's SAR Inc...

----- Original Message ----- From: "Raskin, Larry" <Lawrence.Raskin@jhuapl.edu>
I sent a request for clarification direct to Outlaw. As you can read
below, "These hats are not approved for horse-back riding". My opinion
- You are safer in a straw hat then in these if you fall or are thrown
from your mount.

End of discussion.

Larry Raskin
TROT-SAR