msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Night lights

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Night lights
  • Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 12:34:37 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: tm'-fi
Sent: Thursday, March 04, 2004 5:09 AM

I agree, by design alone light sticks (glow sticks) were made to provide a passive light source.  A couple of weeks ago I posted response to the light sticks. I had said that I use a multi-beam helmet light that has a red LED flood light and also can be switched over to a bright (white) spot light.  I only use the spot light when a stronger light source is needed.  The red flood light works well because it offers good contrast and being a flood light, you simply need to turn your head, look in that direction and scan with your eyes (which was a great point that Una had made).  Another plus of the red flood that it does not cast visible or harsh shadows and maximizes night vision.  I have tried a blue beam colored light which worked okay, but personally like the contrast of red flood better.   I have seen green lights for sale,  but have never used one (any comments for the green).

Another night light that a few team members use is a small flashing/blinking LED light, which is clipped on the back.   This light is used for safety and is a very good attraction getter (that does not effect someone's night vision).  Joreen had made an excellent point about the POD reduction factor at night.  If an alert (status I or II) subject wants to be found and is capable of drawing attention to themselves, they will be able to see us long before we ever see them.  I am sure they would try respond to any kind of moving light (even a glow stick).  Our State has just purchased a small (glowing) blimp that is flown at night and  is used as a passive search resource.  We need to keep in mind that sometimes the subject will come to us and at other times they won't.  I know we all want to get out there and help, but I sometimes wonder if forgot about our own safety.  As much as you may  hate to hear it, sometimes it is simply safer to resume the search at first light.

Tomi' Finkle
TROT Search & Rescue Mounted Team
State of Maryland