msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Night lights - Part 1

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una@lanl.gov>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Night lights - Part 1
  • Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 08:31:44 -0700

philip easley wrote:
>Even though they have excellent night vision, my mules that did
>not have the glow sticks on the pack string stepped off that wall
>and nearly killed them all.

Although equines normally have excellent night vision, there are
exceptions. Philip, are you sure that the mule in question has
normal night vision? Also, mis-steps and falls can happen, even
under ideal conditions.

(My SAR mare fell with me once during a grid search...in a field
of cut alfalfa. She was bored silly by the slow grid searching
and distracted by the highly desirable food item all around her.
She tried her best to recover but got tripped up in the alfalfa.
When her neck hit the ground I bailed, executing a tuck and roll
(wearing winter parka, long slicker, hat, and backpack). Both of
us rolled onto our feet and stood up, with no harm done, before
the other 8 riders in our group noticed anything was happening.
I swear she was mortified.)

Anyway, one benefit of glow sticks is that if one of your animals
strays in the dark of night, you can more easily find it again.

Philip, do you use a breakaway loop of string when you tie your
pack animals together? I have often wondered about the pros
and cons of this, given the pros and cons of breakaway ties in
general.

Una Smith
Santa Fe County Sheriff's Posse, in New Mexico