msar-riders - [MSAR] Night lights - Part 1

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "wwfarm" <wwfarm@wiktel.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Night lights - Part 1
  • Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 17:15:43 -0800

MSAR Night lights - Part 1

MSAR night searching can be very effective maybe more effective than other types of
ground searching because besides ourselves we also have the horses senses to rely
onAnother benefit is that the horse can easily carry the weight of a additional light system.
The key to good night MSAR is night training and the correct lighting.

A week or two ago on this list we were discussing night searching. Some one mentioned
they use light sticks. Last night I gave the light sticks a test. I used a variety of colors and
quantities of the six inch  type of light sticks attached to my horses breast collar. They did
not work. I could not even spot playing cards placed on the ground five feet off to the side
with no ground cover. Maybe the person who gave this idea can elaborate on what type
 they were using, etc.

Problems with using only a hand held flash light.
When we search during the daylight usually our heads and eyes constantly shift to the right
and left sides of our horse. At night if we you are relying on only one flash light you now have
to synchronize the movement of your eyes with your hand. The trouble is the hand can only
move at a snails pace when compared to the movement of the eye. If you are moving while
searching and you have the flash light on the right side of your horse there is a good chance
you will miss something on the left side because your eyes will natural only be able to focus
in the beam of the light. MSAR has a additional challenge, they have to synchronize their rein
hand, flashlight and eyes. The solution to the above  is to have a consistent light
source on each side of your mount.

Continued on MSAR Night Lights Part 2

TER