msar-riders - [MSAR] Night MSAR

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: TrooperWC@netscape.net (Warren (Trooper) Craig)
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [MSAR] Night MSAR
  • Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 20:17:36 -0500

Night call-outs for MSAR were not uncommon in Georgia. We did them nearly as
much as daylight call-outs. What has to be remembered is that there is a
great cross-section of geography, climate, terrain, training, and attitude
within this very diverse group.

For us, we seldom had weather that prohibited us from responding as a mounted
team. Our terrain, aside from sections of the north Georgia mountains, was
fairly easy and accessible. We always worked in tandem behind ground
trackers who worked behind dogs, or behind dogs and handlers without ground
teams. In other words it was always a joint effort with other SAR units.

Another problem we didn't seem to have with the state team was that most of
us were law enforcement officers from jurisdictions throughout the state so
we weren't saddled with jurisdictional disputes and bias by the emergency
managers on-site. Those of us within a given geographical area would always
respond to a call-out, with mounts.

However, there were conditions, terrain and other factors which would prevent
me from searching mounted even in daylight. I valued my horse and my safety
above all else. Don't ever let the rescuer ever enter a situation where he
might possibly become the victim.

Another thing that we didn't have to battle was the notion that the ICS sees
the word "mounted", and ignores the "search and rescue" part of the name.
This is a handicap that many of you seem to face. That's a battle you are
going to have to take on to win. Everyone who gets into this is in it for
one reason, "search and rescue" of someone who needs to be found. Don't ever
forget your mission or your dedication. Make that known to those who need to
know. You may have to drill it over and over again, but they need to
understand your motivation is as great as anyone else's.

--
Warren (Trooper) Craig
email: trooperwc@netscape.net

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.