msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Speaking od dogs

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Speaking od dogs
  • Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 23:41:09 -0800

> > On Thursday, December 04, 2003 3:21 PM, Paul Fleming
> > [SMTP:pfleming@nwlink.com] wrote:
> > > My unit is presently researching what it would take for an MSAR unit
> > > to recover an injured search dog. Aside from the "rope around the
> > > neck answer" has anyone developed a method, procedures or equipment
> > > that we should consider to evacuate an injured animal.

Have you tried rigging a sling using the forks of the pack saddle? Made of
stout cordura or canvas, perhaps using some kind of dowels to help create
and hold a shape. Much like the collapsing fabric stretchers, but designed
to be carried on the top of the pack saddle.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
Tulare Co, CA
SAR, MSAR, Swiftwater Rescue, US&R,