msar-riders - RE: [MSAR] Speaking of dogs Ridin'

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jeff Ezell" <eztech@pdq.net>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [MSAR] Speaking of dogs Ridin'
  • Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 22:57:45 -0600

What about a papoose type rig for this size dog?

I tried to rig an extra saddle blanket with a plastic mesh grid on it for
for grip behind my saddle for my 70# Lab to ride on. It didn't work well and
he got too big to "carry". I was also concerned about the "shoulder shock"
from jumping or falling off. Since I have little use for that here in
Houston I stopped development of the project.

For big dogs a "basket" centered on a pack horse sounds most logical. Maybe
like a big woven wicker laundry basket fastened to the pannier. Or a big
doggie bed. Use it similar to the "basket" like they use on elephants for
people to ride in. If dog doesn't need to ride you could still pack gear in
it.

Jeff Ezell
US Regional Search Dogs
US Search Affiliates