msar-riders - [MSAR] MSAR in SAR and disasters

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Paul Kearney" <pakearney@hotmail.com>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [MSAR] MSAR in SAR and disasters
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 21:54:15 +0930

Jorene, my unit is very small (currrently only 10 riders) as we are a small community. However, to keep the skills up for search and to raise the profile on the team we do a variety of different tasks. We are now used as a public relation tool for the State Emergency Service of this state. I have organised "intelligence" rides where our team will go and ride in a specific area, normally not suitable for local police vehicles seeking intellignece on stolen property being dumped, drug crops and alike. We have also been used for crowd control in small communities for processions etc. Our riders are encouraged to undertake training in other forms of rescue as well, including vertical, vehicle accident and any other activity our "parent" unit undertakes.
As a result of these strategies, we have found we are now moe respected as a professional unit, not just a bunch of hacks out for a Sunday ride and we are being called for more searches. We have also started a second team, about 500 miles north in the outback. DOn't know if this was what you were after but hope it is of some help

E-mail just got a whole lot better. New ninemsn Premium. Click here http://ninemsn.com.au/premium/landing.asp