msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] MSAR in SAR and disasters

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: pennbo@bbv.net
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] MSAR in SAR and disasters
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 21:28:28 -0700

Those horse trailers - often pulled with a 4WD rig - can also be used to transport supplies into disaster areas ... assuming the trailer is pretty
  clean.  Or the towing rigs can haul other trailers with supplies.
Our main truck is a 4x4, dual cab. We can haul quite a bit of stuff in the pickup as well as quite a few passengers. We were prepared in this last evacuation to pick up who, and/or what, needed a ride if the fire got roaring and moving quickly. Thankfully we didn't have to!  An idea for hauling supplies is to use those rubbermaid containers that come in multi-gallon sizes. We are slowly switching to them as they are rodent and water proof. Our idea is to make up different ones for different situations so that its easy to grab and go. We don't need the same supplies for community service events as we do for searches, etc etc. But if you needed to haul a large amount of supplies quickly a canvas tarp dropped into the back of the trailer covers the worst of the dirt and makes for decent footing.

Chris Pennington
Big Bear Sheriff's Posse
Mounted Search and Rescue