msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] MSAR in SAR and disasters

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una@lanl.gov>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] MSAR in SAR and disasters
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 16:33:43 -0600

On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 02:47:50PM -0700, Jorene@ceoates.com wrote:
>From: "Una Smith" <una@lanl.gov>
>> You want not only atypical, but also *actual*.
>
>Yep. Since MSAR has a variety of terrains, weather, etc., in local response
>areas, the needs - and solutions! - can be a bit different above and beyond
>a common / traditional search call-out. The feedback I'm getting is great -
>not only "we do this" but also "we could ALSO do X" ... exactly the kind of
>info I'm looking for!
>
>I'm taking notes here, folks - keep it coming! And thanks for all the great
>feedback!

Jorene, I know we have more examples to provide you, but like
others I am drawing a blank. What have we discussed here on
MSAR-Riders that you have overlooked? What do I know that we
have not already discussed?

Maybe this? I have done a couple of searches this summer in
heavy undergrowth. The kind that rips your clothes to shreds
and scratches your saddle and, more importantly, exhausts
groundpounders in very short order. Horses can push through
thickets without getting a single scratch, step or jump over
deadfalls, and give you a wider view of the area than you
would get on foot. An able horse team can be a major asset
in such terrain. (A not so able horse team can be a major
wreck.)

Downsides of being on horseback include: the horse does not
instantly know when its rider is snagged, and may not be in a
position to stop (eg, jumping). So you are more likely than
a ground team to return to incident base with ripped clothes,
and staff there may be upset. They will naturally think you
have had an accident or other misadventure, so be prepared to
explain and reassure. And maybe wear extra durable clothes?

Another thought: lightweight vented riding helmets are *not*
appropriate for riding in thickets. Those vents can direct a
branch right into your scalp, or worse. A serious helmet or
at least a wide-brimmed, crushable hat would be safer. Wide
brims keep more tree debris from falling down in your collar.

Una Smith
Santa Fe County Sheriff's Posse, in New Mexico