msar-riders - [MSAR] Employers

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "glazejk" <glazejk@netmdc.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Employers
  • Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2003 13:43:00 -0600

Hello everyone,
As all SAR volunteers know, not every search begins and ends on a weekend. Those of us with jobs must depend on the goodness of our employers to grant time off in order to participate. My employer requires that I take vacation which also requires prior notice. I know of no one able to predict when a mission will occur with day to day accuracy. Since I have horses to feed and bills to pay my job must come first. I would like to get some input on how others deal with this situation and if there are any laws federal or state that may pertain to time off for SAR volunteers.
Thanks,

J. Glaze
Otero County