msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Employers

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: bonnie elster <elster530@yahoo.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Employers
  • Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2003 17:36:57 -0700 (PDT)

Here's my two cents: When a call out comes, the SAR
volunteer has a decision to make. Namely, can I
respond to this? How much time can I committ?
Because of my committments I am available from 6pm
Thurs thru 6pm Sun for SAR. SAR is a priority during
the stated time. In CA, if a situation has an OES
number, then by law the employer must release the
employee. There are parameters, but basically it frees
people who are not retired to respond to major
situations. I'm not aware of any federal laws which
allow responders job protection.
In Nevada County most of our volunteers are retired so
we had a high turn out rate most of the time. Everyone
in our unit is expected to be cross trained so we have
coverage for each position.