msar-riders - RE: [MSAR] Employers

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Ian Vowles" <Ian@modric.net>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [MSAR] Employers
  • Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2003 17:00:14 -0600

Title: Message
Hi and thanks whoever sent the torrential rain / hail ..... the mud is great !

Re: Time off :

For us it is a straightforward issue - if you have to work that comes first THEN you are very welcome to come help for the time that you can. Some employers will grant people time off others will not - the circumstances vary widely.

We are fortunate that we also tap into a pool of talent that can often ( but not always ) respond by virtue of owning their own businesses ( so they are their own bosses ! ) or are retired !  That said we will always be able to field more people over a weekend than on a Wednesday .... the paid professionals and the volunteers that they  can gather assist until the other volunteers can make it.  Most of us are unpaid volunteers not paid LE, EMS or Fire .

The real issue for us is the lives of our team mates - a one off emergency most employers will accept and help with , a recurring situation is imposing on them and they may not be able to accommodate the time off request - if that happens to one of ours we do not think badly of the person nor would they be penalized in any way , their life and well being far exceed that of any subject. But we are sure glad to see them come Friday night !!

One thing I was taught in my early days was simply this - it is the subjects emergency not mine ! - remember that in all you do , job one is your safety / welfare , job two is your team mates then and only then does the subject get consideration - I remember this mantra when I drive to the ICP , when I deploy on a hasty team , when I face a dangerous terrain issue.... it also affects my thinking when deciding if I am available or not , sometimes I will respond with a limited time commitment because life cannot always be re-scheduled  !

I do not know of , and would be doubtful about , any law that provides for time off for anything outside of the National Guard or Reserves - how you would administer it boggles the mind !

Good luck with your own situation - we tell all our potential clients they should schedule their getting lost for Friday - Sunday for best service :-)  <VBG>   ( Over half our missions in 5 years have fitted that profile )

Regards,

Ian

Ian Vowles

Unit A - Mounted Rescue