msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Ready packs

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Ready packs
  • Date: Wed Feb 12 22:41:01 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lt. Nick" <aecs_sar@yahoo.com>
> If you keep your sar gear in stuff type sacks in the saddle bags and
> then carry an EMPTY backpack, you could quickly transfer the needed stuff
> sacks into the backpack in the event you need to walk.
>
> This would keep the weight off the rider and prevent you having an
> unweildly loaded backpack on your mount.

If the gear was in waterproof stuff sacks, you'd even have dry gear during
inclement weather. <g> But I still prefer that essential gear be carried by
the rider. If you [generic] - for example - dismount to follow some tracks
or look at possible evidence, you want to preserve that scene with the least
amount of contamination. You'd leave the horse with a team member and
approach on foot. IF you have the fundamentals with you, you can take your
measurements, notes, pix, radio in the info, etc., then retreat in your own
footsteps. If you have to return to your horse for gear, you'll be creating
another - unnecessary - set of tracks. Or, if you have First Aid on your hip
you don't need to dash back to the horse if you find someone who needs help
now. ("Sorry, back in a few minutes - I need to go dig out my gloves and CPR
shield!") If nothing else, you're reducing time by having pertinent gear at
your fingertips instead of needing to dig something out of a deep saddlebag
before proceeding. I actually like a distribution of gear for easier access.

Also, if the Big Ooops happens and you have an unplanned separation from
your horse, you'd still have basics with you ... if you're wearing them.
There is also the potential that what you're wearing could cause injury if
you take a tumble off that horse .. which is real good motivation for
thorough desensitization training and improved riding skills. ;)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
Tulare Co, CA
SAR, MSAR, Swiftwater Rescue, US&R