msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Ready packs

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Pennington-Boggio's" <pennbo@bbv.net>
  • To: msar <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Ready packs
  • Date: Wed Feb 12 23:12:01 2003

Thanks everyone- great suggestions and ideas! I do ride with a
fanny/belly pack that contains the essentials. I keep an empty backpack
in the saddle bags but was looking for something more convenient. I'll
check out HSWT- sounds great! I never ride with a backpack on my
shoulders. Oh, I should say - any more. I tried a few times but found
that the terrain I ride in is not condusive to the extra size or the
balance issue. <G> How many of you have the complete SAR suggestions for

a Ready pack in the pack? We are required to but then we also have to
carry horse supplies too. What about a disposable camera?

One thing we are doing this year that is new is to carry individual
equine first aid kits in EACH saddle bag. We've always carried our own
basic kits. Our group has a very well-developed emergency kit, including

injectables, for the group but we've decided to split most of it up into

smaller units since we will most likely need it IN the field- not at the

trailers!! (Ok, so we should have reasoned this one out years ago! <G>
We've been lucky to not have had any major horse emergencies while on
searches so I guess it didn't compute. We still haven't had any
emergencies but the light finally went on!)

Now speaking of emergencies- how many of you ride with helmets? <g>

Chris
Big Bear, CA