msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Ready packs

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: tm-fi <TFinkle@erols.com>
  • To: Pennington-Boggio's <pennbo@bbv.net>
  • Cc: msar <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Ready packs
  • Date: Thu Feb 13 08:50:00 2003

Chris,

I agree with you and the comments you made. TROTSAR is an East coast Mounted Unit and most of our searches last less than two 12 hours shifts. Many of our team members use the multi section waist pack (with built in lumbar support) and a leg pack carried on the left leg (the leg packs are used military M-17 gas mask bags). Items such as ropes, caribiners and gear related items are carried in saddle bags. Safety items on carried on the person. The Maryland Search Team Task Force (MSTTF) advised all members last year, that all SAR Techs. personnel, those with animals may need to safely secure the animals on the scene in the event, the nature of the situation/mission requires the need for additional ground personnel.

This basically means the need for a (standby) standard back pack for that purpose. Mounted Teams are used for certain purposes, however, the SAR skills are why we are in the field. Sadly, I have seen too many "new" teams think MSAR is simply a nice day riding around in the field looking for a lost person. Our region ONLY utilizes certified SAR personnel, their their special skills are secondary. Our SAR call-outs come from the State Police or County level Law Enforcement agencies. MSTTF keeps a current list (on the web site and hard copies) of all SAR teams within the State and keeps area jurisdictions informed of what services and manpower needs are available <http://home.adelphia.net/~capt1295/capt1295/MSTTF>

After reading some of the post on this site, I can not help to wonder if a few of the Teams represented here even understand what NASAR standards are. Each of our operational team members must be NASAR certified
and must annually complete our Horse/rider requirements (which have been posted here, on the main site before). Even our Support/Logistics (base camp) personnel must be a SARTech-III and have completed the NASAR-FunSAR standards. As far helmets, whether it is a training day or a field assignment, "no helmet = go home" PERIOD. Safety is our paramount mission.

Be well,

Tomi (TROTSAR2) <http://profiles.yahoo.com/trotsar2>