msar-riders - [MSAR] shuttle

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: SARCRNA@aol.com
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [MSAR] shuttle
  • Date: Wed Feb 12 22:43:00 2003

Many of you need to understand there are many agencies involved in this search.  Nasa, FEMA, FBI, EPA, Forestry Service, National Guard...due to the nature of this search those in charge are calling in services they feel comfortable with.  Yes volunteers were utilized, however many were unprepared for the terrain.  Many got lost.  I know many of you are horse teams--believe me the terrain is so thick at times that not even man can penetrate.  I know--I was there with my search dog--called in by federal authorities.  Don't feel left out or feel that Texas will not use outside resources--there were many other dog teams brought in from outside resources.  They are calling in what they need--the searches are primarily line searches and close grid searches to cover the area--this isn't something appropriate for a horse.

Susan Martinez