msar-riders - [MSAR] Re: Columbia Shuttle

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Julie Hammond <hammond4h@yahoo.com>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [MSAR] Re: Columbia Shuttle
  • Date: Wed Feb 12 19:12:00 2003

Hello,

There is such a thing as having too much help that it hinders recovery operations.

It is not that Texas doesn't or wouldn't recognize that they need help.   However, due to the national coverage of the Columbia Shuttle that recovery operations can be hindered by the shear numbers of the people trying to help.

Remember, there are not only S&R groups helping, but the Texas National Guard has been called in, and individual citizens who are not part of any S&R group are calling trying to help in some way.  Some people are wanting to help so that they can be part of history and have said so.

Security is tight and it takes 1 full day to get through security and your S&R group must be called to assist.

Please remember that Texas has many, many trained S&R groups involved in recovery operations and in this case these S&R groups were called in by a higher Law Enforcement Authority than the local Sheriff, or Police.   Since, Texas has so many S&R groups already called in, what is the need to call additional ones from out of state if they are not needed at this time.  This does not mean that the proper authority would not do so at a later date.

Best Regards,

Julie Hammond

Message: 1