market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Winter's coming -- Hoophouses

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Moyer <ramoyer AT gmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Winter's coming -- Hoophouses
  • Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2011 12:53:36 -0400

Alison and all,
We have a standing order for 3-5 lb per week of radishes, and demand for turnips and other root crops.

We (as you suggest) realize we need more spinach in the hoophouse this winter, and less mache.  But what about root crops, esp. radishes or early turnips?  How late in Oct, or even early Nov, can I plant these and still get sizeable radishes and baby turnips?  Any varieties that grow better in low light conditions than others?  Among the quickest maturing ones, any that do better in colder conditions than others?

Thanks much,
Richard Moyer
SW VA  Zone 6B