market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Winter's coming -- Hoophouses

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Jay Sleichter <jaysleichter AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Winter's coming -- Hoophouses
  • Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 12:34:58 -0700 (PDT)

In my zone 5, north central Kansas high tunnels. I plant carrots in early august for a late october- november picking. The year before I planted mid August 15th and 22nd. They didn't get pulled until late October-January.  These are in my movable tunnels, so I will be moving my tunnels, at least one of them in a few weeks. The other one has late tomatoes in them, so I will wait til the tomatoes freeze.

It was so hot during early august, that I didn't get good germination. So I planted a 48 foot bed in another tunnel in early September. They are up and very thick.  I hope they will be ready around Christmas through February.

I planted carrots in February this year and started pulling in early May.

Jay

Jay's Jellies, Produce and More
Clay Center, Kansas
www.jaysjellies.com