market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] volunteer tomato

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Nan Hildreth <NanHildreth AT riseup.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] volunteer tomato
  • Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2011 10:41:36 -0500

You may want to make a quick mini-greenhouse for it. Simple. Plastic or glass over it to allow the sun's heat to protect it. and prevent wind-chill. Find or buy a sheet of plastic, clear or white, big enough to go over the plant. Polyethelene, the material that grocery bags are made of, will do. Any building supply sells heavy (3 mil or 6 mil) sheets. Two sheets keep more warmth than one. Dead air in between, even better. Jugs of water inside give off heat when freezing and provide thermal mass.

Find something to hold it up off the plant: plastic plumbing pipe, wire, old 2x4, fallen branch, something. Secure the bottom of these walls to the ground with something: stones, little sandbags or dirtbags.

Be careful that it doesn't get too warm inside its house. Tomtoes won't set fruit if too hot.

Nan near Houston